A Message to The Minneapolis Foundation Community
Luz María Frías named new President and CEO at YWCA Minneapolis
We are proud to announce that Luz María Frias, our V.P. of Community Impact, has been named the new President and CEO at YWCA Minneapolis. We have mixed feelings about losing daily partnerships with someone whom many of us have come to see as a friend and trusted colleague. We are however extremely pleased that a person we regard as highly as Luz, will be leading an organization we respect so deeply. Luz’s personal commitment to creating One Minneapolis has had a significant impact on all of our work and it is our commitment to continue the transformative, values-driven work she has led. We’re looking forward to continuing to partner with her in her new role.
During her tenure overseeing Community Impact, Luz provided strategic direction and leadership on the Foundation’s initiatives and public policy interests. She also served as the Foundation’s point person in supporting the needs of the RKMC Foundation. Highlights of her time at the Foundation include:
- 45% increase in unrestricted grant-making dollars in first year of co-investment strategy;
- Guided the launch of the Education Transformation Initiative, a collaborative which now boasts 26 foundations/investors;
- Established metrics across our key focus areas and restructured our grant making and job descriptions to optimize community impact;
- Led cross-sector collaborations with various city and state elected officials;
- Co-created and launched a Latino professional leadership group with over 300 members.
The departure of Luz in late November will not impact the current grant round process, which is well underway. We look forward to naming our grantees in December, as planned. We are fortunate to have exceptionally deep bench strength in our Community impact team and I want to assure you that these subject matter experts will ensure we do not lose sight of the important impact work we are doing in this community in partnership with so many great area nonprofits.
Thank you for all that you do to build One Minneapolis – a community where social, racial, and economic equity thrives.
President and CEO
The Minneapolis Foundation